Ah, summer! Time for lots of sunshine, the beach, cookouts, fun trips, and so much more. Students and counselors have worked hard all year long, and now it’s time for a well-earned break. But there’s still plenty to be excited about this month—both related and not related to college prep. Check out what’s coming up in the month of June and get ready for some fun in the sun!
General college prep and planning
- All students: This month, students should be taking a break because they’ve earned it! Before we know it, first-years will be packing for college, high school seniors will be starting their application process, and juniors will be preparing for an important year ahead. But for now, the school year is done, and everyone deserves some rest. If your students are really looking to stay productive, they can build up their college fund using our Scholarship Search tool or sign up for a free webinar from our friends at Moon Prep, College Essay Guy, and more—read on for more info!
- October SAT test-takers: The College Board recommends any student planning on taking the SAT in October to start studying this month. They can find fun ways to study in our Test Prep section!
Month-long observances and events
- Pride Month: It’s time to celebrate everything and everyone in the LGBTQ+ community. Support your LGBTQ+ students by sharing some of our college search, admission, and life advice specifically for them, like Campus Pride: The LGBTQ-Friendly Index list. Happy Pride!
- Caribbean-American Heritage Month: The vision of the NCAHM Program is to promote the recognition of the contributions of Caribbean immigrants to the United States of America. Learn more about Caribbean culture here!
- Audiobook Appreciation Month: Audiobooks are a great way to read and get other stuff done at the same time. Give them some appreciation this month by encouraging your students to check out some of our book recommendations in audio form!
Thursday, June 1
National Doughnut Day
Today’s just a good excuse to eat a doughnut. What other motivation do you need?
Free college planning webinars
Moon Prep is hosting a free College Planning: High School Students recorded webinar over Zoom to help high schoolers start the college planning process early. It will take place from 7:00–8:00 pm ET on Thursday the 1st, so encourage them to register ASAP!
If your students are looking for specific admission essay help, Moon Prep’s 8-Day Crash Course: Learn How to Write an Effective Personal Statement webinar will also be available to access starting June 1.
Saturday, June 3
SAT test date
Today is an SAT test date for students across the country.
Monday, June 5
World Environment Day
Sponsored by the United Nations, World Environment Day is the perfect opportunity to learn how you can do your part in saving our planet. This year specifically focuses on Beating Plastic Pollution.
- 5 Ways Everyone Can Fight for the Environment: The title says it all! Everyone can help the Earth—find out how with these five easy tips.
Tuesday, June 6
College counseling online courses
Consisting of four live sessions every Tuesday in June, College Essay Guy Ethan Sawyer is offering advice on How to Design and Run an Effective College Counseling Department to help counselors navigate equitable and successful college planning. Clear a space on your calendars for 1:00–2:30 pm ET on June 6, 13, 20, and 27. This is not a free event, but pay-what-you-can requests are available and encouraged.
Thursday, June 8
World Ocean Day
This year’s World Ocean Day sets a goal of 30x30, representing the dedication to protecting and improving at least 30% of our whole planet by the year 2030.
National Best Friend Day
New or old, tell your best friends you love and appreciate them today!
Scholarship search crash course
Moon Prep isn’t just helping students with the college search and applications this month—they’re also sharing their knowledge on scholarships with their free 9-Day Crash Course: The Search for Scholarships webinar. Students can register now for this pre-recorded series starting Thursday the 8th from 7:00–8:00 pm ET.
Summer college essay video courses
Ethan Sawyer is also hosting four weeks of webinars for students from June 8th–29th on How to Write a Personal Statement. Sessions will run from 1:00–2:30 pm or 7:00–8:30 pm ET every Thursday of the month. Session topics in weekly order include brainstorming, outlining and writing your first draft, revising, and refining. These courses aren’t free, but students can submit a pay-what-you-can request.
Saturday, June 10
ACT test date
Today is an ACT test date for students across the country.
Sunday, June 11
Free SAT/ACT scores webinar for parents
Prep Expert’s Dr. Shaan Patel is offering another free parents webinar on 10 secrets to raising standardized test scores and winning scholarships to top colleges. Parents can sign up for this one that starts at 6:00 pm ET on Sunday the 11th.
Monday, June 12
Start of National Email Week
Emails are an important method of communication in our everyday lives. Make sure your students know how to write a professional email for future career success.
College Essay Guy LIVE boot camp
The last of Ethan Sawyer’s offerings this month, this College Essay Guy LIVE boot camp will cover How to Write the Personal Statement. The program is free for students, and schools and counselors can also sign up with different prices according to your budget. You can choose to watch the three sessions live or recorded, with a choice of 1:00–2:30 pm ET or 7:00–8:30 pm ET on June 12, 14, and 16. (Look out for more College Essay Guy LIVE boot camps happening this summer!)
Tuesday, June 13
SAT Live Online Trial Class
Kaplan is offering two free SAT Live Online Trial webinars this month. The first will take place on Tuesday the 13th from 1:30–3:30 pm ET.
Wednesday, June 14
Today celebrates the anniversary of the adoption of the country’s first national flag design on June 14, 1777.
Thursday, June 15
BS/MD candidate webinar
Moon Prep is offering a free webinar on What BS/MD Candidates Need to Do This Summer for the medical program admission process. This webinar takes place from 8:00–9:00 pm ET on Thursday the 15th.
- How Can I Be a Strong Candidate for a BS/MD Program?: If students need even more expert advice, here are some quick tips on how to be a strong BS/MD applicant.
Friday, June 16
ACT regular registration deadline
Today is the regular registration deadline for the July 15 ACT test date.
Saturday, June 17
SAT Live Online Trial Class
Kaplan’s second SAT Live Online Trial webinar of the month will take place on Saturday the 17th from 1:00–3:00 pm ET.
Sunday, June 18
Happy Father’s Day to all the wonderful dads and paternal figures out there. We hope you get to relax and eat some good food (that you didn’t have to grill yourself)!
Monday, June 19
Also known as Freedom Day, Juneteenth is a commemoration of the emancipation of enslaved African Americans in the US. Celebrate Black communities today and learn more about this important anniversary!
- Timeline of Important Events in Black History: June 19 is just one of many important dates in Black history that everyone should take the initiative to learn more about.
Wednesday, June 21
Today is the first “official” day of summer and the longest day of the year. Enjoy all the sunshine we get today!
Thursday, June 22
World Rainforest Day
The Global Summit is held each year in honor of World Rainforest Day to promote the protection and restoration of Earth’s most critical ecosystem.
College application webinar
Moon Prep is offering one last free webinar this month to help students with their college applications. They can register for Crash Course: A Step-by-Step Guide for Applying to College taking place on Thursday the 22nd from 7:00–8:00 pm ET.
Friday, June 23
ACT late registration deadline
Today is the late registration deadline for the July 15 ACT test date.
Wednesday, June 28
Personal statement webinar
Moon Prep is offering a free webinar for students on How to Write a Winning Personal Statement for College. Taking place from 8:00–9:00 pm ET on Thursday the 28th, this event will help them brainstorm ideas, avoid certain topics, and strengthen their writing, with bonus tips about the Common App.
Friday, June 30
Supplemental essays webinar
This free recorded Moon Prep webinar walks students through a Crash Course on How to Write the Supplemental Essays for college admission. It will be available starting June 30 from 7:00–8:00 pm ET.
CollegeXpress easy monthly scholarship deadline
Today is the last day to enter our $1,000 School’s Out Scholarship! Starting June 1, students who register or log back in to CollegeXpress and answer just one question will be entered into the drawing. This month’s question is: What are you most excited to do this summer?
DYK students are automatically entered into our annual $10,000 scholarship contest just for signing up on CollegeXpress? (We’ll be announcing this year’s winner later this summer.) Refer them here and share the wealth!