February may be a short month, but it’s packed full of important things to look forward to and do! There’s Black History Month, National School Counseling Week, college admission decisions rolling in, and a well-deserved week-long break from school. Here are some other important dates that students, counselors, and families should be aware of to make the most of the month. Enjoy the extra leap day and happy planning!
General monthly planning
- 9th grade: The first year of high school is an important time to start building key skills for the future. Help students with blogs like How to Get Organized and Manage Your Time as a High School Student so they’re ready for more high-stakes academics in the coming years.
- 10th grade: Sophomore year is when many students begin thinking about college, so it’s a good time for them to start talking to counselors about it. Help facilitate the conversation with the guidance of our blog The Best Time to Ask Your School Counselor These Important Questions. If they haven’t come to you already, consider reaching out!
- 11th grade: Juniors should use this month to start preparing for campus visits, whether they’re attending in person or conducting research through online tours. Share our article on Campus Tours: What to Expect and How to Prepare Ahead of Time or our list of CX Featured Colleges With Virtual Campus Tours.
- 12th grade: Seniors should be focused on finding and applying to more scholarships with tools like our Scholarship Search tool, keeping up their second-semester grades for college admission, and filling out the 2024 FAFSA application if they haven’t already!
Month-long observances and events
- Black History Month: Celebrate and learn about Black history and culture this month with CollegeXpress by checking out all our Black History content!
- Career and Technical Education Month: Career and technical education prepares students for high-wage, high-demand careers in fields like health care, information technology, advanced manufacturing, hospitality, and more. To learn more about what some of these careers entail and the kinds of earnings students can expect, check out our article on the Top 10 Career Fields in America: What You Should Know.
- Lent: Lent is observed for over a month in the Christian religion to commemorate the 40 days Jesus spent fasting in the desert. It commences on Ash Wednesday (February 14), when fasting begins, and ends on March 28, just before Easter Sunday. We wish a reflective Lent to all those who honor the tradition.
Thursday, February 1
College application deadline
Today is a common final Regular Decision application deadline for most colleges during the admission cycle. After this deadline, any colleges taking applications typically accept them on a rolling basis.
- What You Need to Know About Rolling Admission: Colleges with rolling admission policies are a great option for students who don’t get into colleges of their choice or want to expand their pool of applications regardless of admission responses.
National Freedom Day
Today honors the signing of the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution, which abolished slavery.
SAT prep start date
It’s recommended that students planning to take the SAT on June 1 start studying for the test this month to be properly prepared in time.
Free college admission test classes and webinars
Kaplan is now offering free monthly prep classes geared toward helping students prepare for the new digital SAT format. The first Digital SAT Live Online Trial Class will take place on Thursday the 1st from 8:00–10:00 pm ET. Students who want to learn more about standardized tests in general can check out All About College Admission Tests–SAT, ACT, and More on the same day from 7:30–8:30 pm ET to gain insight into which option may be best for them.
Sunday, February 4
Free ACT and SAT prep courses
Kaplan is also offering free monthly prep classes for the ACT, with the first ACT Live Online Trial Class taking place on Sunday the 4th from 12:00–2:00 pm ET. They’re also hosting another Digital SAT Live Online Trial Class from 6:30–8:30 pm ET.
Monday, February 5
Start of National School Counseling Week
School counselors are integral to high school student success. This year’s theme for the week-long celebration is School Counseling: Standards-Based, Student-Focused. Check out the American School Counselor Association to learn more.
- National School Counseling Week Shoutouts: Every year for this special week, we reach out to our student community for shoutouts that honor the special bond they have with their counselors. While you wait for this year’s, give yourself some warm fuzzies with all the sweet things students have shared in the past.
Wednesday, February 7
National Girls and Women in Sports Day
Today honors everything that incredibly talented and resilient women athletes can do and have accomplished. Help young student-athletes pursue their college dreams with these tips.
Free SAT prep course
Catch another Digital SAT Live Online Trial Class from Kaplan on Wednesday the 7th from 7:00–9:00 pm ET.
Thursday, February 8
Isra and Mi'raj
Today is an important Muslim holiday honoring a miraculous nighttime journey taken by the Prophet Muhammad. We wish you a blessed day!
Free scholarship search crash course
Moon Prep is helping students by sharing their knowledge on scholarships this month with their free 9-Day Crash Course: The Search for Scholarships webinar. Students can register now for this pre-recorded series that begins Thursday the 8th from 7:00–8:00 pm ET.
Free college essay workshop
Kaplan is offering free webinars not just for SAT prep but college application assistance as well! Students can sign up for their How to Write an Outstanding College Essay workshop for help with compelling admission essay strategies on Thursday the 8th from 7:30–8:30 pm ET.
- College Admission Essay Topics: Best and Worst: When planning college essays, one of the first places for students to start is choosing a topic. Help them figure out a good story and angle (and learn what to avoid) with these suggestions.
Friday, February 9
National Pizza Day
What better excuse do you need to go grab a slice (or even a whole pie)? Happy Pizza Day!
Saturday, February 10
Lunar New Year
This 15-day celebration commemorates the new year according to the Chinese lunar calendar; 2024 is the year of the Dragon. Gong hei fat choy (Wishing you happiness and prosperity)!
ACT test date
Today is an ACT test date for students across the country.
Free ACT and SAT prep courses
The next Digital SAT and ACT Live Online Trial Classes from Kaplan will be on Saturday the 10th (1:00–3:00 pm ET for ACT; 2:00–4:00 pm for SAT). Make sure students register before spots fill up!
Sunday, February 11
Super Bowl LVIII
Encourage your students to take a break from academics this Superbowl Sunday to eat some good food and cheer on a couple of great teams!
- A Look at Where Pro Football Players Went to College: Know any big football fans procrastinating their college search? This blog could be what they need to spark some interest in the process!
Tuesday, February 13
Free early admission webinar
Students and parents considering the value of applying to college early should sign up for Kaplan’s Getting Ahead–Early Decision and Early Application webinar to see if it’s the right choice for them. This event will be on Tuesday the 13th from 7:30–8:30 pm ET.
Wednesday, February 14
Whether you’re snuggling up with your favorite person, going on a friend date, or enjoying an evening at home, we wish you a happy and love-filled Heart Day.
Saturday, February 17
Random Acts of Kindness Day
Do something nice for someone else today and spread kindness wherever you go!
Monday, February 19
Happy Birthday to George Washington and Abe Lincoln. To everyone else, enjoy the long weekend!
Free ACT prep course
The last opportunity for students to get free ACT assistance from Kaplan is on Monday the 19th. This ACT Live Online Trial Class will be from 6:30–8:30 pm ET.
Thursday, February 22
Free college application webinar
Students who’d like in-depth guidance on college apps can sign up for Moon Prep’s Crash Course: A Step-by-Step Guide for Applying to College taking place from 7:00–8:00 pm ET.
Free college financial planning webinar
One of the hardest parts of college planning is the finances! Help students equip themselves with knowledge by attending Kaplan’s free Financial Planning for College–A Comprehensive Guide webinar on Thursday the 22nd from 7:30–8:30 pm ET.
Friday, February 23
SAT regular registration deadline
Today is the regular registration deadline for the March 9 SAT test date.
- SAT or ACT? Tips for Deciding and Top Study Resources: Before your students register for an exam, make sure they know which one they should take and what kind of resources they can access for studying.
Sunday, February 25
Peace Corps Week
The Peace Corps is an incredible opportunity students can pursue during a gap year before college or after graduation. Learn more about it and other options with our article on What to Do When You're Not Ready for the Real World.
Tuesday, February 27
SAT cancellation and late registration deadline
Today is the deadline for changes, regular cancellation, and late registration for the March 9 SAT test date.
Free college admission webinar for parents
It’s hard for parents to navigate their role in their students’ college search and admission process, but Kaplan is here to help. Discover best practices to support students with the Parents: Your Role in the College Application Process webinar on Tuesday the 27th from 7:30–8:30 pm ET.
Thursday, February 29
CollegeXpress monthly scholarship deadline
We’re giving away $2,000 to a lucky student at the end of the month, and all they have to do is talk about food—what better deal is there? Starting February 1, students who register on CollegeXpress (or log back in) and tell us their favorite study snack will be entered for a chance to win our Study Snack Scholarship. Be sure students get their answers in by Thursday the 29th!
Did you know you can feature our top resources on your website? Head over to our Free College Widgets page to learn more. It’s also a great time for students to apply for scholarships, so be sure to share Over 45 February Scholarship Opportunities to Apply For!