You’ve survived your first year of high school and are one step closer to the college admission process. Things are about to get a lot more interesting (and hectic) during sophomore year! But have no fear—we have another collection of our best survival advice to help you conquer the year ahead. Here’s what you should know about getting into the college search mindset, testing the waters of college admission tests, saving money for college, and more. As always, if you have any questions or need further assistance, contact us anytime. We’ll try our best to help you find the answers you need!
Surviving sophomore year of high school
- Smart College Prep Steps for All 4 Years of High School: Sophomores, find out what you can and should be doing this year to make your college search easier!
- College Planning Tips Every Student Should Know About: The best way to maintain your course toward college and not end up freaking out right before applications are due is to create a schedule and break it down over your four high school years. Find out what to do during sophomore year!
- High School Classes to Make You a Competitive College Applicant: It's no secret that honors and AP courses look great on college apps. Here are other ways to maximize your class schedule each year of high school.
Getting in the college search mindset
- When Should I Start Thinking About Colleges?: The experts weigh in on when high school students should start thinking about college (and when to begin their college search!).
- When Is It Smart to Start My College Search?: Though it varies from student to student, it's important to start planning for college sooner rather than later. Learn more.
- The Basics of When and How to Begin Your College Search in High School: Do you feel lost when trying to begin your college search? You're not alone. Find out more about when and how to start your search process now.
- When to Ask Your School Counselor These Questions: Need answers about the college search and application process? Don't be afraid to ask your counselor! Here are some important questions you should ask...and when.
- 8 Advantages of Starting Your College Search Early: Senior year is a stressful time for most students. You can make it a little easier by starting your college search early in high school. Here are eight reasons why!
Taking the PSAT
- Standardized Test Timeline for High School Students: What to Take and When?: From the SAT and SAT Subject Tests to the ACT and AP tests, you can encounter a lot of exams throughout high school. Check out which tests you should take sophomore year!
- 6 Quick and Essential Tips to Prepare for the PSAT: Prepping for the PSAT? Good idea, because this is one practice test that's definitely worth taking. Here's how to study for it.
- The National Merit Scholarship: What It Is and How to Win: What is the National Merit Scholarship and how do you qualify for it? Short answer: it depends on your PSAT score. But there's a lot more to it than that!
Researching college costs
- How to Figure Out Your College Costs: From admission to fees and beyond, there's a LOT that goes into the cost of college. Here's how to research total costs when you're searching for schools.
- Parents, It's Time to Communicate About College Costs: Some parents put off the money talk with their students far longer than they should. Here's why you should talk about college costs early in the search process.
- Scholarship FAQ: Expert Advice to Start Your Search With Confidence: How, when, and where should you start your scholarship search to win big? Find out all the answers from a professional scholarship strategist now!
- 5 Simple Reasons to Start Your Scholarship Search Early: Starting the scholarship search early is your best chance for minimum stress and maximum rewards. Here are five reasons why starting now is a good choice!
- How to Save Money for College as a High School Student: College is expensive, period. So how can you start saving up in high school to pay for college and everything that goes with it? Read on to find out.
Finding a part-time job
- The Best Summertime Opportunities: Jobs, Internships, and Volunteering: From summer jobs and internships to volunteering, you can do more with your summer than hang out. It might be the key to getting into your dream college.
- Part-Time Jobs and Money-Making Ideas for Students: Looking for a part-time job to earn money in high school? Check out all these options and get your job search or side hustle started with this advice.
- Your First Part–Time Job: A Guide for High Schoolers: Starting part-time employment as a full-time student can be stressful, especially if it's your first job. Here's how to make a smooth transition.
- The Best Job Search Websites for Teens to New Grads: These are some of the best job apps to help high school students, college students, and new college graduates find part-time, full-time, and side jobs.
- Video: Summer Jobs for Students: Sure, summer should be fun, but how are you going to pay for fun without money? Here are some ideas for summer jobs for students at home and around your community!
- Need a High School Internship? Here's Where to Look: You may have heard about students getting internships in high school, but do you know where to find one? Here are some of the best places to look!
Want a peek into the future? Find out what’s in store for junior and senior year with our College Prep Checklist for All 4 Years of High School.