June is Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ+) Pride Month! Even though we support our LGBTQ+ friends all year long, we're psyched to honor this special month too. And if you're looking for LGBTQ+ resources as part of your college search, you've come to the right place. When looking through your college choices, it’s important to find a school where you feel comfortable. For many LGBTQ+ students, that can sometimes be a little harder to find. But it becomes easier when you know what’s out there and what you can look for. In fact, most colleges offer LGBTQ+ resources on their campuses. And like so many other campus services, these organizations provide support for all kinds of issues.
LGBTQ+ resources on college campuses
Depending on the college, LGBTQ+ resources range from support groups to gender-neutral housing or restrooms to leadership programs especially for queer students. These programs aim to bring LGBTQ+ students together with pride and comfort. Many colleges also offer seminars and help to LGBTQ+ students who may be struggling in some way. Or you may find campus committees that represent LGBTQ+ students in the development of school policies—especially if those policies may be unfair. For example, one study showed that LGBTQ+ students often don’t have the same opportunities as their heterosexual classmates; those committees make sure those issues are addressed and fight for students’ rights.
Some colleges and universities hold inclusive events like Pride parades or festivals—events dedicated to celebrating who you are with crowds of people who both relate to you and support you. It’s a good way to meet new people and make friends. It’s also a fun way to embrace who you are and feel proud of your identity. LGBTQ+ students get a chance to shine during Pride!
What to look for during your college search
When you’re researching colleges, be sure to look into your college options and research their campus resources for LGBTQ+ students:
- Does the college or university have LGBTQ+ campus clubs or committees?
- Do they offer gender-neutral accommodations?
- Are there classes or other source work related to LGBTQ+ issues?
- Do they have any Pride events?
- Is there LGBTQ+ representation amongst campus leaders (president, provost, etc.)?
In short, does the college campus have resources that will put you at ease? (Even if you don’t identify as LGBTQ+, if you value attending a college committed to inclusivity, you might want to check out these resources too!)
Choosing which college is right for you is a lot like choosing your new home. Many LGBTQ+ students find a family at their campus, a tight-knit group of people who support and understand them. It’s important that you feel comfortable, happy, and free to be exactly who you are. LGBTQ+ resources should be a requirement on your college checklist, along with research into what those resources entail.
Additional college search resources for LGBTQ+ students
- Campus Pride: The LGBT-Friendly Index: This list is based on the LGBT-Friendly Campus Climate Index developed by Campus Pride. These colleges received high scores on LGBT campus life based on their inclusive, welcoming, and respectful atmosphere toward LGBT students.
- Top 50 LGBTQ–Friendly Colleges and Universities: Using data from leading LGBTQ+ advocacy groups, reports from students and faculty, and a comprehensive range of LGBTQ-inclusive factors, Best Accredited Colleges created this definitive list of the top 50 colleges for LGBTQ+ students that will help you choose a college where you'll be supported and safe.
- Colleges Where LGBTQ+ Students Are Comfortable: At these colleges, campus pride is more than just about football games.
There's a place out there for everyone—a place where you will be not just accepted but embraced. A place where you will thrive, be happy, and go on to do great things. Best of luck in your search!
Find even more great college options using our College Search tool.