Originally Posted: Aug 29, 2020
Last Updated: Aug 29, 2020
College and campus life are different for each student, of course, but there are a few general things that every new college student will definitely experience. Student vlogger Jordan-Paige explains what incoming freshmen should expect before entering college. Check out the video below!
5 key things to know before starting college
- There are going to be college parties, and at times, you may feel pressured to do something you’re not comfortable with. Always remember you don’t have to do anything you don’t want to, and keep in mind whether or not that decision you’re about to make is going to help or hurt you on your path in life.
- Find new friends but keep the old. You’ll be meeting many new people and making new friends in college. Be open to getting to know these new people, but don’t forget to keep in touch with your old friends from back home too. The more friends, the merrier!
- College isn’t going to be a piece of cake. You have to work hard to do well in college, but if you’re excited about your path, the hard work will be well worth it.
- College isn’t for everyone. It’s okay if you start college and realize you want to take a gap year or decide to do something else. Not everyone takes the same path.
- You will get homesick. It’s normal and okay to miss your family and friends. But make sure you still get out, get to know your surroundings, and meet new people, even if you’re pining for home. It’ll help you become more comfortable being away.
You might be nervous to start college—you may even question your final college decision. But remember, this is a chance to try new experiences and find new opportunities. Just dive in and submerge yourself in a new atmosphere with new people. Good luck!
Find more great advice from students just like you on the CollegeXpress YouTube channel!