St. John's University
Why choose St. John’s?
The St. John’s legacy is Catholic, Vincentian, metropolitan, and global. Graduates aren’t only employable when they leave campus, but they take with them all of the hope, compassion, awareness, and well-rounded dialogue that can only come from knowing what it means to be a global citizen.
We major in options
It is often the case that a student enters college unsure of what program he or she wants to pursue. We support this journey by offering more than 100 programs of study built on an “options-oriented” core curriculum that prepares students for success in a challenging academic environment. Exclusive majors such as Actuarial Science, Biomedical Sciences, Mathematical Physics, and a six-year Doctor of Pharmacy are offered in addition to larger programs such as English, Biology, Homeland Security, Adolescent Education, and so much more.
The world is your classroom
St. John’s University provides students with a global education both inside and outside the classroom. More than 42% of St. John’s students study abroad at some point during their undergraduate career, and countless others see the world through St. John’s–sponsored service plunges. In addition to three New York City campuses—Queens, Staten Island, and Manhattan—St. John’s has a campus in Rome, Italy, as well as study locations in Paris, France, and Limerick, Ireland.
Students have the opportunity to spend a semester in Rome or Paris, or they can participate in the Discover the World program, which allows them to spend five weeks each in Rome, Paris, and Limerick over the course of one semester.
Define yourself by serving others
The mission of St. John’s is that of service, following the lead of St. Vincent de Paul’s teachings that we are collectively responsible for caring for those around us who are in need of assistance. This philosophy is engrained into every aspect of the St. John’s experience—from the classroom to the arena and beyond.
The student-run organic garden on the Queens campus helps provide food for those in need through the St. John’s Bread and Life program. Students also participate in Midnight Runs to Manhattan, providing food and clothing to the homeless population of New York City. It’s not uncommon to find that many students will spend their spring breaks building houses for Habitat for Humanity or hopping a flight to Panama to help build a school.
Compassion creates leaders
Leaders are not born—leaders are developed. And true leadership is not just about a grade point average or a Big East championship. A St. John’s–educated leader finds true career inspiration from wanting to make the world a better place for everyone. This is proven over and over again by the 194,000 alumni who help create a network of opportunities that has helped current students land internships in places like the White House, Major League Baseball, Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, the New York Yankees, and so many others.
The greatest city in the world
The opportunities that exist in New York City are countless—and they allow St. John’s to offer more than 100 undergraduate programs of study that are taught by leaders within their fields who dedicate themselves to sharing their unique experiences with all students. As a matter of fact, personal attention is so important to St. John’s that the student-faculty ratio is an impressive 17:1.
Experiences outside the classroom are also essential to overall development—and what better place to be for those experiences than New York City! Students cheer on the men’s basketball team from Madison Square Garden, and the Campus Concierge provides students with discounted tickets to professional sporting events, Broadway shows, and countless other cultural events.
See for yourself
Learn more about how the St. John’s experience will propel you forward at stjohns.edu. The Queens and Staten Island campuses offer daily information sessions and tours. Learn more at stjohns.edu/visit.
#1 Catholic Institution in the Nation on the List of "Colleges with the Highest Student-Mobility Rates" | The Chronicle of Higher Education
Undergraduate Transfers: 268
Student-Faculty Ratio: 17:1
Total enrollment represents 46 states, District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and 119 countries.
• Alumni: 194,000+ alumni network
• Athletics: 17 Division I, NCAA sports teams
• Undergraduate Colleges: College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, College of Professional Studies, St. John’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, The Peter J. Tobin College of Business, The School of Education
• Faculty: 1,471 full- and part-time faculty, 92% of full-time faculty hold their doctorate or other terminal degree.
• Programs of Study: Over 100 programs of study in Business, Education, Health Sciences, Liberal Arts and Sciences, and Professional Studies. Accelerated three-year bachelor’s degrees, five-year bachelor’s/ master’s degrees through our graduate schools, a six-year bachelor’s/J.D. through our top-tier School of Law are available, and a six-year Pharm.D. Program.
Undergraduate Programs: www.stjohns.edu/majors
Graduate Program: www.stjohns.edu/gradmajors
• Internships: Make professional connections and intern in New York City. St. John’s students have interned at a wide range of organizations, including Madison Square Garden, US Secret Service, Estee Lauder, Morgan Stanley, MTV, New York Mets, SONY, and Time Inc.
• Tuition and Financial Aid: St. John's University students receive financial assistance through scholarships, loans, grants and work/study programs. Find out more by visiting www.stjohns.edu/financialaid, www.stjohns.edu/tuition, and www.stjohns.edu/scholarships.