As a school counselor or private consultant, you play an important role in your student’s academic lives, helping them with college admission, scholarships, mental health, and so much more—but that doesn’t mean you have all the answers or couldn’t use a little help yourself every now and again. And we’re here to offer it to you! The articles and advice below come from experts and professionals just like you who want to share their wisdom with the greater counselor community. Covering everything from helping with college applications to developing skills to bolstering your own resources, we have all the tips and tricks you could need to help your students right here.
Helping with college applications
- How Can I Help Students Build Their College Lists?: The college admission process begins with building a good college list. Here's some expert advice to help your students start their college search.
- 7 Important Times to Support Students During College Admission: As an educational consultant, your job is to help students with the college application process. Here are seven definite times to step in to assist.
- Top 10 Ways You Can Help Your Students Stand Out to Colleges: Students need your support during the college search and admission process. Here are 10 ways counselors can help students stand out to schools they care about.
- How Do I Help Students Brainstorm College Essay Ideas?: When it comes to brainstorming admission essay topics, you should keep it simple. Check out these exercises that can help counselors and students work together!
- How Can I Help Students Apply to Reach Colleges?: Not all students will get into the college of their dreams. Here's some expert advice on how to help students wanting to apply to reach colleges.
- How to Help Students Explore Ivy League Alternatives: Students setting their sights high on Ivy League colleges is great, but you can help them develop a backup plan by exploring other options with them.
- How Should I Advise My Students After They've Been Accepted to Colleges?: A lot of students don’t seek further advising after they’ve decided which college to attend, but you can still offer help. Here’s what you should do.
Teaching students about college costs and finances
- 3 Benefits to Sell Students on the Value of a College Education: There are numerous benefits to a college education beyond a lucrative career. Here are three things to help convince your students it's a good decision.
- How Can I Help Students With Financial Aid?: Helping students and families with financial aid is a big part of college counseling. Our experts have some advice on how to help them through the process.
- Smart Advice to Help Your Students Minimize Student Loan Debt: Help your students avoid the pitfalls of student loan debt without forfeiting a college education with these smart suggestions for making and saving money.
Supporting skill-building and academic development
- 7 Important Things to Assist Your Students With During Junior and Senior Year: Supporting students through academics and college admission is an important part of a counselor's job. Here are some areas to help them stay on track.
- A Shift in Writing: How You Can Help Students Improve Their Skills: Have your seniors' admission essays been lackluster? Here are five ways counselors can help students improve their writing skills for college applications.
- How Counselors Can Help Students Explore Majors and Careers: It can be hard for students to choose what academic field, and thus what job, to pursue. Here's how to help them figure out their major and career path.
- How Can I Help Prevent Students From Cheating in School?: Students may succumb to cheating with the pressure of college admission, but it's risky. Here's what one of our experts suggests to help you prevent it.
- How Can I Help Seniors Prep for the College Transition?: College can be a big change, and counselors are the guide every student needs. Here's some expert advice on preparing high school seniors for college life.
Assisting students with specific needs
- How to Guide High School Freshmen Through the Next 4 Years: Counselors play a big role in keeping students focused on the future. Here's how to help freshmen make the most of these four vital but fleeting years.
- 10 Helpful Tips for Working With College-Bound LD Students: Working with students who have learning or physical differences can put you to the test as a school counselor. Here's how to help with college planning!
- How Can I Help Students Thinking of Dropping Out of High School?: Dropping out of high school is a big deal, and ensuring students stay in school is crucially important. Here's some expert advice on helping these students.
- How Does Working With International Students Differ?: Although they're students just the same, there are extra steps and cultural considerations when working with international students. One expert weighs in.
- Should I Recommend International Universities to My American Students?: Should your adventurous students say "See ya later!" to the US and consider applying to college in another country? One expert weighs the pros and cons.
- How Do I Help Families With Differing College Goals?: Sometimes parents disagree with their students on college preferences. Here's some advice from fellow experts on how you can help families through this.
Enhancing your own library of tools and resources
- Creative College and Career Prep Ideas for Students: Keeping your students engaged and focused on college and career prep can be hard. Here are some creative event ideas from a fellow counselor to help you.
- 4 Simple Ways to Multitask and Make Time for College Planning: High school counselors wear many hats. When there aren't enough hours in the day, how can you find extra time for college planning? We'll tell you!
- Best Practices and Advice for Writing College Recommendation Letters: Recommendation letters are important in college admission—especially counselor recommendations. Here's some advice on writing them for your students.
- 4 Proactive Things Counselors and Consultants Should Do This Summer: Planning ahead doesn't just apply to students! Get on track for back-to-school season and the next college admission cycle with these four head-start tips.
- CollegeXpress: A Resource Your Students Can Rely On: CollegeXpress is a premier resource for the college and scholarship search process that your students should be using now. Here are the top reasons why!
Is there any topic that’s missing? Let us know about other content and advice you’d like to see on CollegeXpress through our feedback email.