A degree from the University at Buffalo is recognized around the world, earning you respect and creating unique opportunities. Whether you want to be a teacher or explore nearly any career related to education, UB is your place to be extraordinary.
• 48 master’s degree programs
• 27 online programs available
• Manageable costs, numerous scholarship opportunities, and affordable cost of living
• Top-ranked programs with world-class faculty
• Alumni network of 20,000 strong
UB Graduate School of Education Master’s Degree Programs
Learning and Instruction
• Education and Technology
• Education Studies
• English Education Studies
• Literacy Education Studies
• Music Education Studies
• Science and the Public
• Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
New York State Teacher Certification Programs
• Childhood Education
• Early Childhood Education
• Earth Science
• English for Speakers of Other Languages
• Literacy Specialist
• Social Studies
Counseling and Psychology
• Educational Psychology & Quantitative Methods
• Mental Health Counseling
• Rehabilitation Counseling
• School Counseling
• School Psychology
Educational Leadership and Policy
• Economics and Education Policy Analysis
• Education Studies
• Educational Administration
• Higher Education Administration
• Higher Education Administration—Student Affairs Concentration
Library and Information Studies
• Information and Library Science
• School Librarianship
For information about our master’s and doctoral degrees, certificates, and other programs, please visit ed.buffalo.edu/gcu-degrees.
Share in our mission: to make the world a better place
We are a professional school with a social mission to create and apply knowledge on human development, educational policy, teaching and learning, and information science. Together, we strive toward one goal: leaving the world a better place than we found it.
See how research-driven education = a more valuable degree
UB is one of the top public research universities in the world. Here you’ll find:
• 11 of our own research centers, institutes, and labs
• Research projects designed to solve some of the most compelling problems in schools and society, including projects you can participate in if you choose
• World-renowned faculty who are moving education forward through their teaching, work, and research
Even if you choose not to do research, our data-driven approach benefits every student. At UB, you’ll learn how to find out why something is happening so you can find better solutions to the problems you’ll face throughout your career.
Learn by doing
Our students gain firsthand experience working, researching, and publishing in their desired fields. How? By solving real problems in their fields and the communities they serve. Here you’ll gain confidence—and make a measurable, tangible difference—through internships, student teaching opportunities, clinical experiences, and research projects.
An excellent value
If cost is a deciding factor, it’s hard to find a better value than UB. With manageable costs, scholarship opportunities, and a cost of living well below the national average, UB is an excellent investment in your future.
In the 2% of AAU schools
UB is proud to be New York’s largest public university, one of the nation’s top 50 public institutions, and one of the elite 2% of universities that are members of the Association of American Universities (AAU).
Buffalo: the city of good neighbors (and great jobs)
With high employment rates and friendly, diverse communities, the Buffalo-Niagara region is consistently one of the top-rated major metropolitan areas in America. We’re the second-biggest city in New York State and just a quick trip from New York City, Chicago, and Washington, DC.
Be prepared for what comes next
At UB, you’ll learn how to look forward—and learn forward—gaining the knowledge, skills, and tools you need to succeed in the ever-changing field of education. Every program is designed to help you understand today’s issues while getting ready to solve tomorrow’s problems.
An alumni network that opens doors
As a graduate, you will join a powerful network of nearly 20,000 alumni who will welcome you throughout New York State and across the country. Getting your foot in the door is simpler when you know someone on the other side of it.
Teacher Education master’s programs with residency: New York State certification programs
Earn your recommendation for New York State certification through one of our 16 certification programs. With your certification, you’ll be qualified to teach in your subject area at PreK-12, depending on your program. To qualify for these master’s programs, you typically need an undergraduate degree in your specific discipline or a degree in Education.
• Programs are typically two years long, including a year of real-world experience
• UB’s Teacher Education Institute places students in PreK-12 schools throughout Western New York.
• Whether you want to teach and learn in a rural community, suburban school, or urban environment (including schools with large refugee populations), you’ll find plenty of opportunities and valuable contacts at UB.
• New York State certification is recognized by most states nationwide, which gives you added flexibility throughout your career.
Teacher Education master’s programs: online non-certification programs
If you want to teach at a school that doesn’t require New York State certification—including many schools in other states or around the world—you can earn your master’s degree through one of our online non-certification programs. These programs give you the flexibility to work, take care of your family, or travel while still earning a prestigious degree. To qualify for these master’s programs, you typically need an undergraduate degree in your specific discipline or a degree in Education.
We do more than teach teachers
Our graduates have built successful careers worldwide as university presidents, administrators, principals, superintendents, psychologists, counselors, information specialists, librarians, faculty, and outstanding researchers. Here you’ll find four distinguished departments with nearly 80 programs, giving you the opportunity to explore your interests and discover your true passion.
• Counseling, School, and Educational Psychology
• Educational Leadership and Policy
• Learning and Instruction
• Library and Information Studies
Are you interested?Yes, connect me!
|African American Studies|
|Art and Fine Arts|
|Biological and Physical Sciences|
|Botany and Plant Sciences|
|Cancer Biology & Oncology|
|Cell & Molecular Biology|
|Communication Sci & Disorders|
|Cultural & Demographic Studies|
|Geographic Information Systems|
|Latin American Studies|
|Liberal Arts & Sciences|
|Modern & Romance Languages|
|New Media Studies|
|Psychology - General|
|Science - Other|
|Theater and Drama|
Register now for our scholarship giveaway
*may vary by program