Deciding to transfer colleges is a big decision. Going through the transfer admission process is also a big deal—after all, you’re seeking something more than what your current school is providing you, whether that means you’re a community college student coming to the end of your two-year degree or a four-year university student who just isn’t satisfied in your current environment. Whatever type of transfer student you are, we have great resources and advice for you, coving everything from making the initial decision to transfer, to finding and applying to the right school, to adjusting to your new campus once you’re there. Start exploring our best blogs and articles to help you through the entire transfer process!
Deciding to transfer colleges
- Should I Transfer Schools If I’ve Been Thinking About It?: Deciding to transfer colleges is not something to be taken lightly. Here's some quick expert advice to help you decide whether to transfer or not.
- How to Decide if You Need to Transfer Schools: Making the decision to transfer schools is huge. So how do you know it's the right choice? Here's what to consider about your school that could warrant leaving.
- 5 Good Reasons to Transfer to a Different College: Transferring colleges doesn't mean you failed—it can be a great thing! Here are five good reasons to transfer.
- The Ups and Downs of the Transfer Experience: Transferring colleges can feel like a roller coaster! Read on to learn about the ups and downs from a former transfer student who knows the ride firsthand.
- Are You Ready to Transfer? Planning for Your Future: Students enroll in community colleges often with the intent to transfer to a four-year college. Here's how to determine if you're ready and plan your future.
- One College to Another: The Ultimate Transfer Guide: Whether you planned to transfer from the start or you decided you needed to make a change; whether you’re going from a two-year school to a four-year or from one four-year to another; transferring is a big step, but you don’t have to go it alone. Here’s everything you need to do.
Finding the right college to transfer to
- Featured Transfer Colleges: Covering five distinct regions of the US, our featured transfer college lists let you learn about and connect with schools looking for transfer students like you in one convenient place.
- How Do I Decide Which College I Should Transfer To?: It's reasonable to feel wary that you're not transferring to the right school. Here's some expert advice on finding the right college fit the second time around.
- Finding Your Fit as a Transfer Student: Figuring out which college to transfer to can be hard, but hearing from those who have been there can help! Check out the stories of five transfer students and the path they took to finding the best-fit college to transfer to.
- 3 Important Factors to Finding Your Transfer College: Finding the right transfer college sometimes requires focusing on different search factors than the ones you originally researched. Here’s what you should look for.
Transfer admission applications and essays
- A Helpful 2-Year Timeline for Transferring Colleges: Planning to transfer to a four-year college or university? This timeline will help you keep track of what you need to do—and when you need to do it!
- How to Avoid These 5 Common Transfer Student Mistakes: Because the transfer process is fraught with unique challenges, it comes with unique pitfalls as well. This transfer admission insider has some great advice to help you avoid application mistakes.
- 6 Important Pieces of the Transfer Admission Process: Transferring is a hard process, but one thing is for sure: these six things are extremely important to your admission process and success as a transfer student.
- The Best Transfer Essay Advice From Admission Insiders: Your transfer college application essay is just as important as it was the first time around. Learn how to write a winning essay with this expert advice.
- What's Your Story? A Guide for Transfer Admission Essays: Finding the right story to tell in your transfer admission essay can be hard. But this Director of Admissions has some advice for finding your story and telling it right in your essay.
Financial aid for transfer students
- How to Save Money by Transferring Colleges: Starting at a more affordable college then transferring is a growing trend with students. See how this strategy could save you money at the end of four years.
- Important Things to Understand About Transfer Aid: So you've decided to transfer. Great! While there are many factors to think about when selecting a school, don't rule out the possibility of attending a college or university because the cost of attendance. Transferring can be more affordable than you think.
- Important Questions About Transfer Aid, Answered: Transfer financial aid may not be that different from the first time you filed the FAFSA, but you may have questions about the process. Here are the answers.
- 8 Keys to Unlocking Financial Aid as a Transfer Student: Whatever your reason for transferring, there are steps you can take to ensure your transition is a smooth one—and that you get the most financial aid possible.
- If I Don’t Qualify for Merit Aid, Will Other Aid Be Available?: Transfer students often receive institutional scholarships, but if you don't, you may still have other financial aid options. Our experts have the answer.
Special resources just for transfer students
- Useful College Resources Transfers Need to Know About: Transferring from one school to another does not have to be stressful. There are many resources available to all types of transfer applicants.
- What Are College Articulation Agreements All About?: This guide explains what these agreements between colleges are all about, with a list of programs that make transferring colleges easier!
- Transfer Troubles: 3 Ways to Prevent Credit Leakage: Transferring to a different college can be a great way to advance your education, but many students are faced with the prospect of losing credits in the process. Here's what you need to know to prevent credit leakage.
- A Quick List of Transfer-Specific Campus Visit Questions: Whether you're a campus visit pro from your high school days or you never got the chance, it's worth visiting any schools you're considering for your transfer. Here are some questions you should definitely ask when you go.
When you get to your new school
- Adapting to Your New College as a Transfer Student: Don't let your fears about transferring colleges derail your plans! Here are some of the toughest things about transferring and how you can conquer them.
- How the Coronavirus May Change the Transfer Process: Being a transfer already adds a new level to the college admission process—and now students have to navigate that during a pandemic. Here's some advice to help!
- How to Understand and Minimize Your Transfer Shock: Transferring to a new college is a big step with a lot of changes. Even if you think you're ready for those changes, you might still suffer from "transfer shock." Here's how to adjust to your new situation!
- 5 Survival Tips for Your First Semester as a Transfer: When you're a transfer student, sometimes it feels like you're the new kid all over again. That can be nerve-wracking, but these five tips can help make the switch more seamless and fun.
- Internship and Co-op Advice for Transfer Students: When you're busy transferring to a new school, it's easy to push the thought of finding an internship to the back of your mind. But this is one extracurricular activity you can't afford to miss.
- 7 Things You’ll Learn Your First Semester as a Transfer: A fellow transfer student has some great lessons to pass on based on what she learned after transferring to her new school. Keep reading for seven tips she has to share with all new transfers.
We've compiled our top-tier content for other topics too, like how to find internships and fill out the FAFSA. Check them out using the tag "our best advice."