Starting the college search and admission process is an exhilarating milestone, accompanied by a significant decision: choosing a college major! This choice not only shapes your academic trajectory for the next few years but also lays the groundwork for future professional pursuits. But don’t let all this weigh you down—most majors are flexible and lead to a variety of careers, and you don’t even need to declare one until you’ve completed your second year of college!
If you want to get the ball rolling or make sure you’re on the right path, you’ve come to the right place. This is all our best advice on everything you need to know about college majors, from exploring your options and finding schools that offer great programs to declaring a double major, creating your own major, and even changing your major down the road. Get ready to find a field that not only resonates with your interests but propels you toward a successful future!
Exploring your options
- How Should I Start Exploring My College Major Options?: So many career fields! What do you do? Here's some quick advice from our very own experts on exploring all your options for college majors.
- How to Start Exploring Your Major Interests as a High School Underclassman: As an underclassman, you don’t need to figure out your life right now, but it's smart to think about it. Here’s how to start exploring college majors.
- How to Choose Your Major and Explore All Your Options: Some colleges boast upwards of 300 majors. How are you supposed to decide on one, especially if you're not sure what you want to study? Learn more here!
Making the choice
- How to Pick a College Major: Narrowing Down a Big List: How do you get from having too many major options to finding your best fit? A student offers his best advice on searching for a major and career path.
- How Do I Choose Between Very Different Majors?: You may have a few ideas of what you want to academically pursue in college, but how do you make a choice between them all? Our experts have some advice.
- 5 Well-Known Websites to Help You Choose a College Major: Choosing a major is tough. There are so many options, so how do you narrow them down? Here are five websites that can help you make that major choice.
- 4 Expert Tips for Choosing Your Best-Fit College Major: Choosing a college major is a huge decision in your higher education journey. Use these four tips to help lead you to the best-fit major for your goals.
Majors and college admission
- The Pros and Cons of Declaring a Major on Your College Applications: What does declaring your major on your college applications mean and, more importantly, should you do it? Let's look at the pros and cons of declaring or not.
- Top Tips for the College Search When You're Pursuing an Atypical Major: The college search is grueling and students pursuing specialized majors have a unique challenge. Find the program you're looking for with these tips.
- Choosing a University Based on Your Major and Minor: If you know what you want to study in college, choosing the right school just got easier. Here's how to choose based on your intended major or minor!
- Student Advice to Start Exploring Colleges and Majors: Are you ready to find the right school and the best-fit major for you? Start your search with advice from a real college student who's been there!
Beyond traditional majors and minors
- How to Know If a Nontraditional Major Path Is Right for You: A traditional four-year major isn’t the right choice for all students. Here’s a look at other undergrad program formats and how to know what's right for you.
- Considering a Double Major? Popular Options and Top Benefits: Double-majoring in college can be tough, but there are a lot of benefits. Here's what to know about this academic option and common majors to pair.
- How to Combine Your Academic Interests With an Interdisciplinary Studies Major: Interdisciplinary college degrees are a great way for students to tailor their interests to their future goals. Here's a look at these innovative programs!
- How to Create Your Own College Major, Step-by-Step: Can't find the right major for college? Interested in creating your own? Here's everything you need to know to make your individualized major a reality.
Majors and career connections
- How Will My College Major Affect My Future Career?: The key to choosing the "right" major is to understand that some majors prepare you for a specific career but most do not. Here's what the experts have to say!
- Why Picking a College Major Isn't the Same as Choosing a Career: Think you're locked into a certain career by declaring a major? Think again! Here's how your field of study can lead to a variety of postgrad job options.
- Picking the Right Major: How Close Is Close Enough?: How close is close enough when it comes to choosing a major that will accomplish your necessary career preparedness? Find out from a college admission insider.
- How to Choose a Major: With Your Head or Your Heart?: Choosing the right major for you can be difficult when your head is at war with your heart. Here's how to analyze your options with both in mind!
- 5 of the Most Promising College Majors for Students to Consider: If you’re looking for a solid major with a promising future, check out these five common, not-so-glamorous but smart fields you could pursue in college.
Changing your major in college
- How to Change Your College Major: It's hard to admit you didn't make the right choice the first time you chose a major, but we're here to make sure your second major decision is the right one.
- 4 Good and 3 Bad Reasons to Change Your College Major: There are some good and bad reasons to switch your college major. Do any of these common scenarios apply to you? Here's some advice, plus questions to ask!
- Changing Majors: It's Not the End of the World: Changing your college major isn't as big of a deal as it's made about to be—but there are some things you should know before you start the process.
After you figure out what you’d like to study in college, browse our Lists & Rankings by Major to find the best programs for your field!