The School of Graduate Studies, Research, and Innovation at Southern Connecticut State University is one of the largest graduate schools in New England. Our mission is to promote excellence in all aspects of graduate education.
• Art Education, post-baccalaureate
• Bilingual Education/TESOL MS
• Biology MS, post-baccalaureate
• Business Administration MBA, Accelerated MBA
• Chemistry MS, post-baccalaureate
• Communication Disorders MS, CT teacher certification
• Computer Science MS
• Counseling MS, SYC, CT teacher certification
• Creative Writing MFA
• Educational Leadership SYC
• Elementary Education MS, post-baccalaureate
• Elementary Education Classroom Specialist SYC
• English MS, MA, post-baccalaureate
• Environmental Education MS
• Exercise Science MS, post-baccalaureate
• History MS, MA, post-baccalaureate
• Library & Information Science MLIS
• Marriage & Family Therapy MFT
• Mathematics MS, post-baccalaureate
• Nursing MSN, EdD, post-master’s certification
• Physics, Applied MS
• Political Science MS
• Psychology MA
• Public Health MPH
• Reading MS, SYC, CT teacher certification
• Recreation & Leisure MS
• Romance Languages MA, post-master’s certification
• School Counseling MS, CT teacher certification
• School Health Education MS
• School Psychology MS, SYC, CT teacher certification
• Science Education MS, post-master’s certification
• Social Work MSW
• Sociology MS
• Special Education MS, post-master’s certification
• Sport & Entertainment Management MS (fully online)
• Women’s Studies MA, certificate
Southern Connecticut State University At A Glance
Size of Campus: 168 acres
Number of Students: 10,680 undergraduate and graduate students; more than 2,600 students living on campus
Number of Faculty: 439 full-time faculty, 84% of whom hold the doctorate or appropriate terminal degree in their field, and 593 part-time faculty members, many of whom are practitioners in their fields
Colleges, Programs, and Degrees: The School of Graduate Studies works with Southern’s Schools of Arts and Sciences, Business, Education, and Health and Human Services to offer more than 55 graduate degree programs ranging from Business to Secondary Education, Biology to Studio Art, and Communication Disorders to History. Master’s degrees are awarded, as well as graduate certificates, sixth-year professional diplomas, and doctoral degrees in Educational Leadership and Nursing Education.
Geographic Diversity: 37 states represented: top five are Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts; 26 foreign countries represented, including Germany, China, South Korea, Norway, Saudi Arabia, Canada, Nigeria, and the United Kingdom
Graduate Student Budget:
• In-state tuition and fees per year: $11,674*
• In-state MBA tuition per year: $12,904*
• Out-of-state tuition and fees per year: $24,250*
• Out-of-state MBA tuition per year: $25,426*
• In/out-of-state Accelerated MBA program: $8,682 per semester*
• In/out-of-state MLIS program: $12,408 per year*
• In-state EdD Educational Leadership: $562 per credit plus fees*
• Out-of-state EdD Educational Leadership: $572 per credit plus fees*
• In/out-of-state part-time EdD Nursing Education: $752 per credit plus fees*
* Estimated expenses for the academic year, September through May 2017–2018; additional costs may be incurred, including housing, books, supplies, medical insurance, and personal expenses for students living year-round in the New Haven area.
• Degree from an institution accredited by a recognized regional accrediting agency in the United States; if you are pursuing a master’s degree, a bachelor’s degree is required. For a sixth-year certificate, a master’s degree is required.
• Appropriate academic background in or for the program in which graduate study will be done
• Recommendation of the graduate program coordinator; specific graduate programs may have higher admission standards and/or require scores on standardized examinations such as the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) or GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) as well as letters of recommendation. Read the program section of the graduate catalog to determine additional graduate program admission requirements.
Application Deadlines and Fees: Application fee is $50. Although many of our graduate programs have a rolling admission process, a number of departments have established application deadlines. Applicants are urged to submit the completed application and credentials well in advance of the semester for which they seek admission.
Southern offers graduate and post-baccalaureate programs in over 55 areas of study in the fields of Education, Library Science and Information Technology, Business, Health and Human Services, and arts and sciences. We have approximately 2,600 students pursuing graduate studies, including more than 800 full-time graduate students.
A student-centered university
Located in New Haven, Connecticut, the campus has a vibrant, culturally rich, and ethnically diverse environment. This public university offers unique research opportunities, access to fascinating internships, a vibrant campus, and a commitment to preparing strong leaders.
Many of our graduate programs are designed specifically for working professionals who are seeking to enhance their skills while continuing to advance their careers. Our flexible full- and part-time programs, such as our Accelerated MBA program with Saturday and online courses, and our fully online MS in Sport and Entertainment Management, allow students to complete their graduate studies without putting their careers on hold.
Southern continues its development as a thoroughly modern campus, with a new School of Business and a complete library renovation project in progress. Southern’s ongoing expansion of its science programs was greatly enhanced with the completion of the new 103,608-sq. ft., four-level academic and laboratory science building. The new building enhances the ongoing expansion of Southern’s science programs and the University’s capacity to educate more students in the STEM disciplines—science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Embracing an innovative sustainable design, it houses teaching and research training laboratories for nanotechnology, physics and optics, the Earth sciences, the environmental sciences, cancer research, astronomy, molecular biology, and chemistry.
Southern’s nationally renowned graduate faculty represent a wide range of backgrounds, interests, and scholarly achievements. Many have achieved national and international recognition for their scholarship and contributions to their professional disciplines. Faculty lend special expertise to the social, economic, governmental, business, and educational issues that impact businesses here in Connecticut and the region. Southern students are inspired by the research, scholarship, and creative activity of our professors.
Make New Haven your own
New Haven is a coastal, multicultural city of more than 130,000 people, just 90 minutes from New York City and less than three hours from Boston, with quick and convenient public transportation available to both metropolitan centers. The city of New Haven is a vibrant center for arts, culture, history, and entertainment. It’s home to five colleges and universities, so wherever you go, you’ll find yourself immersed in a dynamic college experience.
Are you interested?Yes, connect me!
|Applied Behavior Analysis|
|BSN to MSN Programs|
|Early Childhood Education|
|Modern & Romance Languages|
|Psychology - General|
|Reading & Literacy|
|Social Work - MSW|
|Teaching Foreign Language|
|Teaching Other Subjects|
|Weekend MBA Programs|
Register now for our scholarship giveaway
*may vary by program