There are important skills students pick up in high school and college that you’ll carry throughout your life, both personally and professionally. To make your life easier, we’ve compiled all our best advice to help you build these practical skills! From improving your time management and other soft skills to learning how to code and be a better leader, we have advice for everyday life and specific situations. Take control of your personal growth today for a bright future ahead!
Skills for learning
- How to Work on Your Academic Weaknesses in High School: Everyone has one subject in high school they don't like much, and usually that's your toughest class to get through. Here's how to strengthen your skills.
- 4 Techniques to Improve Your Time Management: Time management is one of the most important skills you can develop in high school and refine in college. Here are some ways to improve how you manage your time.
- Infographic: Find Your Learning Style and Study Smarter: You know the saying: Study smarter, not harder. And there's no smarter way to study than figuring out how you learn best. Discover your learning style here!
- 9 Tips for Developing Soft Skills Before Graduation: Developing hard skills during college may seem like a winning strategy for postgrad employment, but neglecting soft skills can be a serious miscalculation.
- 7 Tips to Boost Your Writing for Homework and Essays: Writing skills are something we use throughout our lives, but especially in school. Here are seven tips to improve your writing and showcase your best work.
- 5 Proven Ways to Learn Fast and Effectively: You may think you know how to effectively study, but learning some new tricks like these could be the difference between a B and an A on your next test.
- Role-Playing Games Can Make You a Better Student: Role-playing games aren't just for preteens in their parents' basements. Check out the real-life way role-playing games like D&D can help you build life skills.
- How to Improve Your Study Skills for Grad School: Grad school is tougher than undergrad, and some of your study skills just won't cut it. Here's how to strengthen your skills for graduate-level work.
Skills for specific majors
- 6 Smart Skills to Develop If You Want to Major in Business: So you want to major in Business in college? Student writer Sydney can help you get a head start by teaching you about six skills you should develop now.
- Unexpected Skills You Need to Succeed in Science Majors and Careers: There’s a lot more to being a scientist than doing research and experiments. Here are four surprising skills you’ll need to excel in STEM majors and careers.
- Why It's Important for Students to Learn How to Code: Even if you're not planning to be a Science major, coding is an incredibly valuable skill to learn before heading off to college. Here's why!
- How to Improve These Must-Have Skills for Science Majors: There are a lot of refined skills you'll need working in a science field, but here are four of the top skills you should start working on today!
- What Are the Top Skills I Need to Major in Analytics?: Interested in becoming a business analytics professional? There's more to it than number crunching. Here are some skills our experts recommend picking up.
Skills for independent living
- 3 Important Life Skills Students Need to Learn Before Going to College: It helps to have certain life skills under your belt before you go to college. Mastering these three before freshman year starts will make your life easier!
- 10 Things You Need to Know How to Do Before Going to College: Transitioning from high school to college can be difficult. Learn how to do these 10 helpful things before freshman year to ease into your new life on campus.
- 6 Smart Money and Budgeting Tips for High School and College Students: It's never too early to think critically about your finances. Here are a few budgeting tips to develop smart financial skills, even as a high school student!
- How to Create Smart, Long-Lasting Habits in High School: It's important to develop good study skills and healthy habits that you can carry from high school to college. Read these tips and find what works best for you!
- How to Master the Art of Setting and Refining Your Goals: You've got big dreams, but do you know how to organize your goals to achieve them? Learn how to master goal setting for a better college life and future.
Skills for social situations
- 12 Tips and Tricks to Build Confidence in High School: Confidence is an important trait you'll need in college. Here's some advice to help you become more confident in high school and succeed in everything you do.
- How to Build Better Relationships With Your Teachers: Having good relationships with your teachers is of the utmost importance to academic success. Here's how you can build a better rapport with your teachers.
- 6 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Relationships in College: College is a big transition for students as they navigate new relationships and try to maintain those back home. Here are some tips to guide you along the way.
- 5 Effective Tips to Improve Your Public Speaking Skills: Public speaking is a nerve-wracking experience for many students. Conquer your fear and improve your speeches and presentations with these tips!
- 5 Ways to Build Work Relationships for Career Success: The secret to landing an interview, having a mentor, and more lies in how you connect to others. Here's how you can build rapport and a stronger network.
Skills for your future career
- How Useful Transferable Skills Can Land You a Job: What are transferable skills? Why do you want them? And where can you get them? Here's everything college students need to know.
- 8 Leadership Qualities All Students Should Have: There's no singular way to be a great leader, but there are some skills all leaders possess. Here are eight you should work on to improve your leadership.
- Boost Your Career Advantages With These 5 Liberal Arts Skills: Liberal arts skills are universally needed in the workplace. Here are the top five liberal arts skills you should develop to boost your career prospects.
- The Top 10 Hard and Soft Skills All Employers Want: We all have a skills section on our résumé, but which are the most valuable? Read on to see what hard and soft skills you should highlight to get the job.
- 3 Mature Personality Traits You Need to Start Your Career: You'll be starting an exciting career before you know it, and it's never too early to prepare! Here are three traits to develop for success in any workplace.
We've compiled our top-tier content on other topics too, like how to find internships and deal with stress as a student. Check it all out with the "our best advice" tag!