Finances are an important part of the college journey and your future adult life—but those management skills don’t just come naturally. Learning to manage, track, budget, and save your money takes time and conscious effort. But if you learn to be more mindful of your finances now, you’ll find yourself in a much better situation later in life. Here’s a collection of all our best advice to help you master the art of money management.
Money management for high school students
- How to Save Money for College as a High School Student: College is expensive, period. So how can you start saving up in high school to pay for college and everything that goes with it? Read on to find out.
- 6 Smart Financial Literacy Tips for High School Students: Making good financial decisions in high school goes a long way in college and beyond. Here are six things you should do to become more financially literate.
- 5 Basic Financial Strategies You Should Learn About Before College: Many students don't have much experience managing money and finances, but you should understand these five financial topics before you head to college.
- A High School Senior Starter Guide to Financial Responsibility: Starting college means new responsibilities, including financial ones. Here are some ways to start successfully managing your finances before college.
Financial strategies for college students
- 7 Great Tips to Graduate From College With a Small Fortune: Go from poor college student to a money master and start life after college with a surplus rather than a deficit with these helpful money-saving tips.
- Top 5 Back-to-School Money-Saving Tips for Students: It can seem hard to save money as a student, but it doesn’t have to be. Use these great tips to manage your money and save more around back-to-school time.
- What I'm Doing to Save Money in College: Saving is hard if you're not making much (or any) money. This college student has advice on how to save in your daily life that's already working for her!
- 5 Unhealthy Money Habits to Avoid Developing in College: Developing smart money habits now will pay off majorly in the future. Check out these five unhealthy practices you should avoid for financial stability.
- 7 Helpful Money-Saving Habits College Students Should Learn: Living can be so expensive, especially for a student with minimal income. Here are seven easy ways to save money while still having fun during college.
- Budgeting 101 Infographic: Saving Money in College: Stressing out because you don't have enough money to pay your bills and have fun in college? These tips will help you master budgeting and save some cash.
- 5 Tips to Help College Students Manage Their Finances: Learning to manage your finances isn't something you're usually taught in high school. These expert tips will help you set yourself up for college life!
- 5 Money Skills Students Need to Learn for Financial Stability: Financial literacy is important in order to have a healthy relationship with money. Learn skills to become financially stable as a student with this video!
- 4 Big Questions to Ask When Choosing a Bank in College: Going to college is a huge commitment—personally and financially. Make sure you're putting your money in the right hands by also finding the right bank.
- Understanding the Dangers and Benefits of Credit Cards in College: Credit cards: convenience or crutch? If you have one in college, it's important to know how to use it to your benefit—and not your financial undoing.
- When Is It Appropriate to Splurge as a College Student?: Student budgets are tight, so it's not usually smart to make frivolous purchases in college. Our expert explains when it's worth it to spend your money.
Best practices and tools for everyone
- Budgeting Best Practices All Students Need to Learn: The best way to manage your money and save as a student is by budgeting. Here's how you do it, with a handy budget spreadsheet to help you get started!
- How Students Should Save and Spend Their Money: Students should learn smart money-saving and spending habits as early as possible. Start learning how to manage your finances right here, right now!
- 6 Smart Money and Budgeting Tips for High School and College Students: It's never too early to think critically about finances. Here are a few budgeting tips to develop smart financial skills, even as a high school student!
- Smart College Budgeting Advice for Parents and Money Strategies for Students: Budgeting for college can be tough, but working with your student on finances will make everything easier in the long run. Here are some tips for everyone!
- The Best Budget Templates for Students to Master Money Management: Going to college means a lot of new responsibilities, including budgeting and finance management. Here are templates to help make tracking money easier.
Money-saving tips for specific circumstances
- How You Can Save Money by Transferring Colleges: Starting at a more affordable college then transferring is a growing trend for students. See how this tactic could save you money on four years of college.
- 7 Important Financial To-Do’s for First-Year College Students: Learning to manage finances is an important part of growing up, and college is a great time to do it. Start now with these tips before you head to campus!
- Investing 101: Smart Stock Market Strategies for Students: The stock market is moving into a more modernized place right now, but that means it's the perfect time for students to learn how to invest. Get started here!
- How and Why to Save for Retirement in Your 20s: Saving for retirement probably isn't even on your mind yet, but it should be! Here's how and why you should start saving for your future in your 20s.
- 5 Things Students Should Know Before Buying a Car: There's nothing like your first set of wheels, but you should be aware of these five things before you make a car purchase you may later regret.
- Infographic: 3 Smart Tips to Financially Survive Freshman Year: Your first year of college can come with financial pitfalls if you're not careful. Here are three financial tips to get you through freshman year.
- Financial Emergencies: 6 Smart Student Funding Options: Financial emergencies are downright stressful and scary. Here are your options as a college student for funding during common financial struggles.
- How College Students Can Save Money on Car Insurance: Car insurance can be expensive, especially to a college student. Here are some ways to save money on your car insurance while you're in school.
- How Students Can Save Money on College Textbooks: College textbooks can be expensive, but if you know how to shop around, you don't have to break the bank. Here are a few ways you can save money on books.
- 5 Ways a Public University Can Help You Save Money: Looking for ways to cut college costs? Public universities often come with the prestige of a private school at a reasonable price. Here's what to know.
- 9 Smart College Student Money Moves to Buy a Home by 25: Buying your first home is a big goal, but it takes a lot of smart financial planning to get there. Here’s how you can start making smart money moves in college.