Extracurricular activities are an important part of both the high school and college experience for students. Joining clubs and organizations is a great way to meet friends, boost your interpersonal and academic skills, and pursue things you’re really passionate about outside the classroom. It may seem overwhelming at first with all your options—athletics, research, the arts, oh my! But with this advice, you can find the things worth dedicating your time and mind to, feel more comfortable among your peers, and balance it all while staying on top of your schoolwork. Start exploring, get excited, get involved, and have some fun!
Joining clubs in high school
- How to Get Involved in Extracurricular Activities in High School: If you're a high school student wondering where to get started with extracurriculars, how to find the time, and what activities to pick, look no further!
- Top 3 Tips for Finding Extracurricular Activities in High School: Struggling to find impressive high school extracurriculars? Check out one student's advice to help you think outside the box and find activities you enjoy.
- An Easy Navigation Guide to High School Clubs and Activities: Extracurricular activities are a great way to blow off steam after school, plus they look great on college applications. Here's a quick guide to extracurriculars!
- How to Make Your Student Activities Count Whenever You Join: Making your extracurriculars count is important to college admission. Here’s how to have meaningful experiences with high school student activities.
- Great Extracurricular Activities That Won't Break the Bank: You don't need to have expensive hobbies to strengthen your college apps! These extracurricular activities are perfect for students looking to save their money.
Considering extracurriculars in the college search and admission process
- Colleges and Universities With Extracurriculars That Students Love: In college, the activities you participate in outside the classroom are just as important as the learning that happens inside the classroom. That's why you should look for schools with great extracurricular options. These colleges and universities have student clubs, groups, and organizations that our users are highly satisfied with, according to a recent survey.
- How Extracurriculars Benefit Your College Applications: Extracurriculars are a surefire way to boost a college application, but how are your extracurriculars reviewed by your colleges of interest? Find out here!
- High School Extracurriculars: What Impresses Admission Committees (and What Doesn’t): Hoping to impress college admission committees with your extracurriculars? Here’s what they do and what they don’t want to see on your applications.
- 5 Quick Tips to Help You Choose Your High School Extracurriculars: Extracurriculars look super good on your college applications. Here are a few tips for picking out which activities to participate in to impress schools.
- How Many Extracurriculars Should I Participate in to Impress Colleges?: Turns out you don't need to join nine clubs to stand out to colleges! Our experts explain why you shouldn't stretch yourself thin when it comes to activities.
- Commit to Extracurricular Activities for Better College Admission Chances: Extracurriculars are an important part of your college applications, but you should focus on quality over quantity. Impress colleges with these top tips!
Getting involved on your college campus
- Campus Activities, Clubs, and Other Fun Ways to Get Involved at College: Joining activities can help you meet people and make friends in college. But with so many clubs to choose from, where do you start? This guide can help!
- Exploring Extracurricular Activities in College: How to Find the Best Opportunities: Wondering what college extracurriculars are all about? Check out this guide on everything you need to know about finding and joining clubs on campus.
- Extracurricular Activities: The Big Secret to Winning at College Life: Imagine a secret formula that results in happiness, better academics, and improved job prospects for college students. Want to be in on the secret? Read on!
- 6 Important Ways to Get Involved on Campus: College is about more than good grades and a degree. Make the most of your experience and get involved in some of these on- and off-campus opportunities!
- The Best College Extracurriculars to Stand Out to Future Employers: Extracurriculars are great for showing future employers what you're passionate about. Here are the best activities to boost your résumé and impress people.
- 3 Easy Ways to Get Past Nerves and Get Involved as a Transfer Student: Transferring to a new college is exciting, but it can also be hard to find activities on campus. Here's some advice on getting involved as an older student.
- The Best Ways to Get Involved at US Universities: The US university experience is about more than studying. Here's why international students should join clubs and organizations to get connected on campus.
Pursuing niche interests
- Why Model UN Is the Perfect High School Extracurricular: What is Model UN, why should you participate, and how can it help prepare you for college? Find all the answers to these questions and more now!
- Top 7 Benefits of Joining Model United Nations in College: You may have heard of (or joined) Model UN in high school, but there are many benefits to pursuing it in college. Here are seven reasons to consider it!
- How to Create and Support a New Club in 8 Crucial Steps: High school and college students often create new clubs based on their interests, and you can too! Here are eight steps to ensure your group is a success.
- How Can I Get Involved in Research as a Student?: Interested in conducting research in high school or college? Learn about opportunities offered to you as a student and tips to find them from our experts.
- How You Can Pursue Activism in High School and College as a Student: Wondering how you can take action for causes you care about? Student activism is needed now more than ever. Here are some easy but powerful ways to get started.
- Join These Art Clubs to Boost Your High School Résumé: If you're planning to apply to art school, these high school clubs will beef up your résumé, strengthen your applications, and impress your future college.
- A Natural Choice: The Best College Clubs and Activities for Nature Lovers: Ah, the great outdoors! Did you know there are college programs and clubs for that? Here's a look at outdoorsy options and how to find them on campus.
- What Students Should Know About STEM Extracurricular Opportunities: Pursuing STEM extracurriculars in college can connect you with other students and supplement your studies. Here's what to know about these opportunities!
- Easy Ways to Get Involved With Music in College: It's easy to get involved with music in college, even if it's not your major. Learn about the groups, classes, and performances you can enjoy on campus!
- College Sports: Which Level of Play Is the Right Choice for You?: There are three levels of athletics you could play in college, but which one is best for your college lifestyle? Read on to learn more and make a decision.
- Becoming a Volunteer in College: 7 Important Areas of Service: Volunteering opportunities are everywhere, and your college campus probably boasts a bunch. Here are seven key areas of service that could use your help!
- Fostering Diversity: College Clubs That Welcome Students of All Cultures: There are lots of opportunities to be part of a diverse community on your college campus. Here are some student organizations to consider joining!
- Extracurricular Activities to Nurture Your Faith on Campus: Catholic and Christian students have ample opportunities to nurture their faith with college extracurriculars. Here are some options to get involved and connected on campus.
CollegeXpress is an absolute gold mine of advice for every step of the high school and college journey! Find all our other top-tier tips under the “our best advice” tag.