Rhodes is a residential college committed to excellence in the liberal arts and sciences. Our highest priorities are intellectual engagement, service to others, and honor among ourselves. We live this life on one of the country’s most beautiful campuses in the heart of Memphis, Tennessee, an economic, political, and cultural center, making Rhodes one of a handful of national liberal arts and sciences colleges in a major metropolitan area.
What Rhodes offers goes beyond its top-tier liberal arts education. Rhodes offers a transformational experience, challenging students to explore innovative ideas, examine their values, and discover what they can contribute to their community and to the world.
Among the stone and the stained glass is a place to belong, where alongside their professors and their peers, students are supported in reaching their full potential. We value the kind of engaging dialogue that arises when students and professors work together to investigate questions and problems they care about. In this environment, students are expected to formulate and articulate big ideas and contribute in major ways to the critical discussions and debates that take place in our classrooms and laboratories.
Our collegiate-Gothic campus sits on 110 wooded acres in the heart of historic Midtown Memphis. In this beautiful, supportive environment, our students and professors comprise a community unmatched in its dedication to learning and a life of honor and integrity. Every walkway, quadrangle, residence hall, common area, recreational area, classroom, and lab is designed to encourage intimate conversation, the exchange of ideas, and life-changing connections.
Rhodes provides endless opportunities for hands-on learning experiences. The Lynne & Henry Turley Memphis Center and the Mike Curb Institute for Music provide students with opportunities to pair the liberal arts and interdisciplinary research with real-world experience on campus and in the community. Rhodes also has a number of fellowships that match students with partners in the medical, research, and nonprofit sectors in Memphis to explore professional and academic projects while equipping them for successful careers and graduate study.
World headquarters to Fortune 500 companies such as FedEx and International Paper and a major hub for biomedical research, distribution, and industry, Memphis offers prestigious internships and research opportunities. And the city’s independent spirit makes it fertile ground for arts and culture, nonprofits, community service, and thoughtful leaders of all kinds.
At the heart of a Rhodes education is the mentorship relationship between professors and students. Faculty members at Rhodes are scholars by example, and they consider the academic experience to be an intellectual journey for both students and professors. Our faculty work closely with students—in and out of the classroom—to challenge them to find their passion for knowledge and discover the person they want to become.
Beyond the expected
Rhodes is committed to the belief that a better world is possible. Whether engaging in cutting-edge research alongside doctors and researchers at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital or pursuing archival research to correct the historical record regarding the selling of enslaved Africans in Memphis, students are immersed in a culture where academic exploration and social action go hand-in-hand and where their ideas and actions make a meaningful impact in the world. We provide our students access to world-class faculty and real-world experiences, which enables them to develop the intellectual muscle to move big ideas and the character to do so in the service of humanity.
Rhodes graduates are perceptive thinkers, creative problem solvers, and lifelong learners, and they have the skills and abilities to connect them to the country’s top graduate and professional schools, interesting careers, and fulfilling lives. Choose any field of human endeavor—from medicine, law, or education to business, politics, or the fine arts—and there are Rhodes graduates working within the discipline to change the world.
• U.S. News & World Report named Rhodes College one of the nation’s most innovative national liberal arts colleges in its 2020 “Best Colleges” rankings. Rhodes was also recognized as a “Best Value College” and was on the list of national liberal arts colleges with the “Best Undergraduate Teaching Degrees.”
• Rhodes College is profiled in The Princeton Review’s popular college guide The Best 384 Colleges 2019, ranking #10 for “Most Accessible Professors” and #16 for “Students Most Engaged in Community Service.”
• Rhodes College is featured in the Fiske Guide to Colleges 2019, which includes profiles of more than 300 of the “best and most interesting” colleges in the country. Rhodes also made the guide’s lists of small colleges and universities strong in Business and International Studies.
• Rhodes is among the US colleges and universities that produced the most 2017–2018 Fulbright US Student Scholars.
• Rhodes College is profiled among the nation’s best colleges for academics, career preparation, and affordability in The Princeton Review’s 2018 edition of Colleges That Pay You Back: The 200 Schools That Give You the Best Bang for Your Tuition Buck.
• Rhodes College has made the “Best College Values” rankings for 2018 by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine. Rhodes is #38 on its list of 100 “best values” in liberal arts colleges and #70 among the 300 colleges ranked overall.