Campus visits can be one of the most fun parts of the college search—but also the most overwhelming! After all, it takes a lot of time, research, money, and effort to visit the schools on your college list. That’s why we’ve gathered all our best advice to help you understand the importance of experiencing campus before committing to a school, what schools to visit, and the types of visit events you should know about. You’ll also learn about ways to prepare, places to see, questions to ask, alternatives when you can’t visit in person, and more. Dive right in, then start planning your campus visits with your newfound knowledge!
The importance of campus visits
- Campus Visits: The Best Resource to Use in Your College Search: How do you narrow the list of 4,000 schools down to a few that you want to explore further? The college visit is your secret weapon. Find out why!
- 3 Main Types of College Visits You Should Know About: Here’s an intro to the three most common types of visit experiences typically offered by colleges: traditional tours, open houses, and overnight visits.
- When Should I Visit College Campuses?: Most colleges are open year-round for campus visits, but the time of year you visit will impact what you see. Here's what our experts recommend.
- College Visits Should Be Fun, Not Stressful: You hear all the time how vital college visits are to finding the right school, but you should also enjoy them! Here's how to make them fun, not overwhelming.
Preparing for your visits
- Campus Tours: What to Expect and How to Prepare Ahead of Time: The best way to enjoy your college visits is to be fully prepared for them. Here's what you need to know about scheduled college tours and how to get ready!
- An Important Checklist to Plan Your First Official College Visits: Planning campus visits can seem like a daunting task. But if you follow this simple checklist, you'll be in perfect shape for all your college tours.
- College Visits: How to Prepare to Take Tours and Explore Campus: Campus visits are vital when considering what colleges to apply to. Whether you go in person or explore online tours, these tips can help you get there.
- 3 Things You Need to Do Before Visiting a College: So many colleges, so little time to visit! These three steps can help you narrow down your college list and make the most of your campus visits.
- 3 Important Reminders Before You Go on Campus Visits: Campus visits are extremely important, but the stress can sometimes make you forget the key details. Here are three reminders before you go on college tours.
Having the best experience on campus
- Top Tips for Making the Most of Your Campus Visits: Picking a college is not easy. However, one important way to help make your decision easier is to visit the campus. Here's how to do it right!
- Top 5 Places to See During Your Campus Visit: College visits are an exciting educational opportunity! As you set foot on campus, here are some essential places to look for and questions to ask.
- 5 College Visit Tips No One Told You About Until Now: Students often wonder: How do I make the most of a campus visit? There's a lot of advice out there, but these are the little-known things no one tells you.
- Top 10 Tips for Your College Visit Road Trip: Are you traveling far to visit your colleges of interest? Here's how to make the most of your experience on a whirlwind road trip college search adventure.
- How to Overcome Anxiety and Talk to College Students on Campus Tours: College kids can seem intimidating. So how do you talk to them on campus tours? These tips will help you build up your courage and get you talking in no time.
- 3 College Visit Locations That Can Be Turned Into Vacations: Too busy to take a vacation and visit colleges? You can do both at once with this list of travel ideas for areas around the country with major colleges.
- How Students Can Make the Most of College Fly-In Programs: College fly-in programs might just be the ultimate campus visit. Here's a closer look at what they are and how you can make the most of them.
Things to do and places to go
- What Should I Be Looking for During My Campus Visits?: Campus visits are important in determining whether a college is a good fit for you. Here's what you should be looking for during your college tours, according to an expert.
- 10 Things You Should Definitely Do on Every College Visit: If you're putting in the effort to visit colleges before applying, make sure you're taking full advantage of it. Here are 10 things to do on campus tours.
- 10 Lesser-Known Stops to Make on Your Campus Tours: While planning your college visits, be sure to include these 10 unexpected places and hidden gems in your plans. They might help make your final decision easier!
- The Best Ways to Make Your College Campus Visits More Fun: Are all those campus visits tiring you out? Here are a few ways to make them a little more entertaining...including a rousing game of Campus Visit Bingo!
- Make Campus Visits Fun With the CX Scavenger Hunt: Have an adventure on your next college tour with the CollegeXpress Campus Visit Scavenger Hunt! Download our map and be sure to visit these important hot spots.
Questions to ask on your tours
- The Essential List of Campus Visit Questions: Campus visits are an essential part of the college search but can be overwhelming, so it's important to ask the right questions. Here's a whole list of them!
- Smart Questions to Ask Before, During, and After College Visits: Questions are an infinitely important part of your college tours—before, during, and after! Not sure what to ask? Let this quick guide help you out.
- Campus Visits: Places to Go and Questions to Ask: Not sure what to ask on your next college tour? Here are all the questions you could possibly need, plus places you should visit and other factors to consider!
- Important and Unique Questions to Ask on Campus Visits: Visiting colleges is exciting and nerve-wracking for prospective students. Make sure you're prepared with the right questions to learn the most possible!
If you can’t go on an official tour
- Fun Things to Do When You Can't Go on Official Campus Tours: Even if you don't have the opportunity to go on a formal student-led tour, there are still plenty of things you can do to get a feel for a school.
- Smart Things You Can Do If You Can't Visit Campus: Sometimes you just can't visit a certain college, but that doesn't mean you should rule it out. Here's what to do when you can't visit a campus in person.
- 3 Good Alternative Options for Canceled Campus Tours: Your college search doesn't have to be on hold if campus tours have been canceled by COVID-19. Here are three ways to still learn about your top schools!
- Beyond Pretty Brochures: How to Plan Informal Campus Visits: Official campus tours are great, but they only give you part of the story. Get a more realistic view of your colleges with this advice on making informal campus visits.
- How to Have a Successful Self-Guided Campus Visit: Signing up for an official tour isn't the only way to visit colleges! Use these tips and tricks if you feel like exploring campus on your own schedule.
- 7 Ways to Make Campus Visits More Affordable: College is already expensive, and unfortunately, so are college visits before you even apply to a college. Don't worry! There are plenty of ways to save money.
Virtual tour advice
- COVID-19 and Virtual Campus Tours: Is the COVID-19 outbreak causing you to cancel your campus visit? Don't fret—virtual tours are the answer to coronavirus cancellations.
- How to Have a Great Virtual Campus Visit Experience: If you're overwhelmed by all the virtual college visit options, have no fear. Here's a comprehensive guide to having your best virtual tour experience.
- 5 Helpful Things to Look for on a Virtual Campus Tour: Virtual tours are a great alternative if you can't physically visit campus. Here's what to look for and questions to ask to make the most of your experience.
- CollegeXpress Featured Colleges With Virtual Tours: Use this list to learn which of our featured colleges offer virtual tours, read more about them on their CollegeXpress profiles, and access each school's virtual tour on their website!
Advice for different types of students
- Campus Visits: Not Just for Undergrads!: Campus visits come to mind when you think about undergrad programs, but what about grad school? Here's why even grad students should consider a campus visit.
- Campus Visit Tips for Future Grad Students: Visiting graduate schools is just as important as it was for undergrad! Here's how to get the most from your campus visits as a prospective grad student.
- A Quick List of Transfer-Specific Campus Visit Questions: Campus visits are as important when transferring as they were in high school. Here are some important questions you should be asking on your college trips.
- Campus Visit Alternatives for International Students: For students from other countries who can’t visit campuses in person, there are other invaluable opportunities to gain a unique perspective about the schools that interest you. Learn about them here!
Have you created your must-see college list yet? Find schools that are worth a visit with our College Search tool!