Studying abroad is one of those crazy college perks that seem almost too good to be true (right up there with all-you-can-eat waffles in the dining hall). You get to go globe-trotting for college credit, and you learn incredible things from incredible people along the way. It’s also a surprisingly marketable experience when you’re out job hunting. So if you’re lucky enough to have study abroad opportunities available to you, take advantage! These articles and lists will help you navigate your study abroad options and teach you how to make the most of your time, wherever you end up.
Why you should study abroad
- Study Abroad: A Step Toward Changing the World: Are you thinking about studying abroad? Here are a few insights into how it can change your life—and maybe even help you change the world.
- Top Reasons for Studying Abroad: Studying abroad is kind of a big deal: you have to say goodbye to your tiny campus bubble, your best friends, and your dog to embark on an educational adventure overseas.
- Study Abroad as "Citizen Diplomacy" and a Résumé Booster: Spending a semester in Paris or Prague may sound like four months with an accent on fun, but it can also help make you a citizen of the world and an attractive job applicant—and it doesn't have to be expensive.
Finding the right study abroad program
- Going (and Staying!) Abroad: Whether you study abroad for a few weeks, months, or longer, you are almost certain to discover innumerable, invaluable things about the world, its people, and yourself.
- The World is Your Oyster: Summer Programs Abroad: Think studying abroad is just for college students? Think again. Summer programs abroad offer a range of opportunities for high school students interested in going overseas.
- Top 20 Leading Destinations of U.S. Study Abroad Students: From the hot beaches of Brazil to the busy city streets of China, students sure do know how to get around.
Study abroad tips and tricks
- Preparing for Your Adventures Abroad: When studying abroad, the location or the type of program doesn't seem to matter all that much—it's the experience.
- Advice on Studying Abroad Through a Public University: Studying abroad can be the most rewarding and exciting time of your college education, but if you are enrolled at a large public university, this process might require a bit more legwork on your end.
- Studying Abroad Tips for Science Majors: Participating in study abroad programs will be difficult because of demanding science course schedules, but you can take advantage of these programs with proper planning.
- Studying Abroad in the United Kingdom: Getting to Grips with London Life: Thinking of crossing the pond for a semester or two? Read on for a few tips and tricks to help you adjust to life in London.
- How to Make the Most of Your Time in Ireland: Looking to study abroad? Have you considered Ireland? You might after reading this guest post!
- Top Schools and Places for Studying Abroad: An Infographic: Thinking about studying abroad? This infographic will show you some of the top destinations.
Lists of schools known for their study abroad programs
- The Experts' Choice: Colleges with Great Study Abroad Options: Most colleges and universities have some form of study abroad, but these schools are truly the best of the best, with more options, more programs, more everything.
- Colleges where Freshman Year Study Abroad Is Common: A lot of schools only offer study abroad opportunities to juniors and sometimes sophomores, but the schools on this list decided that their freshmen could handle it.
- American Colleges with International Campuses: Stay with a host family? Pshh! Not only do these schools offer study abroad, they have a whole campus out there, because sometimes colleges need to enhance their programs with classes near the Parthenon or a castle in the Netherlands.
- More Colleges where Lots of Students Study Abroad: The title says it all.
- Highest Undergraduate Participation in Study Abroad at Baccalaureate Institutions: Beautiful places, incredible food and drink, exotic cultures, attractive foreigners with accents . . . there is definitely a lot to study out there.
- Highest Undergraduate Participation in Study Abroad at Doctoral/Research Universities: How do they even find the time to study abroad with all their research? Those students must know something that we don't.