Studying abroad is one of those college perks that almost seems too good to be true (right up there with all-you-can-eat ice cream in the dining hall). You'll get to go globe-trotting for college credit, see incredible sites, and learn from amazingly diverse people along the way. It’s also a surprisingly marketable experience when you’re out job hunting after graduation. If you’re lucky enough to have study abroad opportunities available to you in high school or college, take advantage! These articles, blogs, and lists will help you navigate your study abroad program options and show you how to make the most of your time while you're away.
Why you should study abroad and what to consider
- 7 Exciting Reasons You Should Study Abroad: Studying abroad is one of the most exciting opportunities you can take advantage of in college. Here are all the reasons why you should study abroad!
- 5 Life-Changing Reasons You Should Intern Abroad: Landing an internship abroad is a life-changing experience. Here are all the things this unique experience could teach you and why you should be going for it.
- 9 Great Things You'll Gain From Studying Abroad: Studying abroad has a lot of benefits to your life now and after college. Here are just nine things you'll gain from this life-changing experience.
- The Top 5 Things to Consider Before Studying Abroad: If study abroad is in your future, here's how to determine what program to choose, where to go and for how long, what you'll need to pay for, and more.
- 6 Things to Think About If You Want to Study in a Foreign Country: Studying abroad is great, but it comes with more effort in the process of applying and attending. Here are six things you need to consider before going abroad.
Finding the right study abroad program and planning ahead
- How Can I Pursue Study Abroad Opportunities in College?: Study abroad may be difficult with a demanding college schedule, but you can take on a program with proper planning. Here's what one expert has to say!
- Benefits of a Global Education: 3 Common Ways to Study Abroad: With so many options available to you, studying abroad can be an integral part of your college plan. Decide if a semester, year-long, or entire degree program is right for you with this advice.
- Plan Your Study Abroad Adventure With This Simple Timeline: Planning your study abroad experience can be daunting. But this timeline breaks everything down, making the process less overwhelming and a whole lot simpler.
- Amazing Travel Scholarships and Programs for Students: Want to travel or study abroad before college? These merit- and need-based scholarships can help high school students fulfill their desire to explore the world.
- Study Abroad Opportunities: What You Should Know About SAI Programs: Students have a lot of options for study abroad. Learn more about SAI Programs and all its locations, academic programs, costs, and aid options.
- Top Summer Programs for Students With a Global Mindset: If you're interested in exploring the world and making it a better place, a summer program with a global focus could be just the thing for you.
- 5 Unique Locations to Consider for Your Study Abroad Travels: Studying abroad can lead to some of the most unforgettable experiences of your time in college. Explore this list of five unique study abroad locations!
- 7 Key Things to Know About Studying in Europe: Study abroad isn't all fun and games like in the movies. If you dream of studying in Europe, make sure you're prepared for the real experience with this advice.
Finding schools known for their study abroad programs
- The Experts’ Choice: Colleges and Universities With Terrific Study Abroad Options: Most colleges and universities have some form of study abroad, but these schools are truly the best of the best, with more options, more programs, more everything.
- College Search Tips for Students Wanting to Study Abroad: You don't have to be in college to think about study abroad! Find a college with a great travel program and plan for all the expenses with this advice.
- Colleges Where First-Year Study Abroad Is Common: A lot of schools only offer study abroad opportunities to seniors, juniors, and sometimes sophomores, but the colleges and universities on this list decided that their first-year students could handle it too.
- American Colleges With International Campuses: Stay with a host family? It's not necessary at these schools! Not only do they offer study abroad, but they have a whole other campus out there.
Financing your travels
- 7 Scholarships to Help You Study Abroad: Studying abroad is expensive, but you can prepare for your program by finding free money to help pay for it with these great scholarship opportunities.
- How to Write a Winning Study Abroad Scholarship Essay: Studying abroad is a big and expensive part of many students' college education, and scholarships can help with that. Here's how to ace those study abroad scholarship essays.
- 6 Smart Financial Plans Before You Study Abroad: Studying abroad in college can add up financially. Before you go on your international adventure, consider these six financial strategies to save some cash.
- Top 5 Questions to Ask Before Taking Out a Loan to Study Abroad: You may need some financial help to make your study abroad dreams come true. Before you take out a loan, consider these five things to make a smart choice.
- Study Abroad Health Insurance: What You Need to Know: There's a lot to plan for studying abroad. Have you thought about health insurance while you're out of the country? Here's why it should be on your list.
Preparing for your adventure
- 3 Big Study Abroad Expectations (vs. What It's Really Like): Think you know what a semester abroad will be like? Find out if your expectations meet reality from a student who studied abroad in Spain.
- The Quick, Essential Packing List for Studying Abroad: You're in for a wild study abroad adventure, but first you have to finish (read: start) packing. Here's a quick outline to help you out!
- How You Can Overcome 3 Common Study Abroad Stressors: So you want to study abroad in college—but you're anxious about it. Never fear! Here's some advice on overcoming the stress and pursuing a great program.
- 5 Tips to Make the Most of Your Study Abroad Experience: Study abroad is not something you want to pass up. These tips can help you make the most of your experience and get all the benefits from your program.
- 9 Tips to Make Your Study Abroad Experience More Successful: Study abroad isn't as simple as flying to another country and taking some classes. These tips will help you ace your program and enjoy the experience.
Enjoying yourself while you're abroad
- 10 Common Study Abroad Problems and How to Solve Them: Studying abroad isn't all fun and games! Here are some common problems you may face, plus simple ways to resolve them to have the best experience possible.
Lost in Translation: How to Overcome Language Barriers for Study Abroad: Studying abroad in a country with an unfamiliar language can be fun but scary! Here are some tricks to prepare ahead of time and ease into it while you're there.
- How to Be Extra Safe While Studying Abroad in College: Study abroad should be about fun and life-changing experiences, but don't forget to be practical too. Stay safe and alert abroad with these helpful tips.
- Top 6 Things to Do While You're Studying Abroad in College: Many college students lose track of what to do and how to make the most of their time abroad. Be sure you fit in these six experiences during your trip!
- London's Calling! 38 Fun Things to Do in the City While Abroad: One of the hardest parts of studying abroad is deciding how to spend your time outside of class. If you plan to study in London, here are some suggestions!
- The Best Things to Do While Studying Abroad in Ireland: There are so many new experiences to have when you're studying abroad. If you're studying an Ireland, here's a guide to the best things you can do!
This isn't the only collection of advice from CX—we have tips on everything college related, from applying for admission to getting your first postgrad job. Explore all our best advice now!